News
A court rules against Ryanair’s carry-on bags policy

A court told Ryanair to give back the 139.98 euros they charged a couple for moving hand luggage that weighed less than 10 kilos. This is a service that should have been included in the price of the ticket.
The High Court of Justice of the Valencian Community said that the Irish company had to pay back the couple 91.98 euros for the trip from Alicante to Lodz, Poland, plus 48 euros for the trip back, plus two points of interest on top of that.
Ryanair said that the plaintiffs knew about the terms of the contract when they bought their ticket and that there was an extra charge for having carry-on luggage that was bigger than what was allowed.
“Whether an airline can charge an additional supplement to a passenger for transporting his or her hand luggage; understanding the term “hand luggage” not to mean a small bag or purchases made at the airport, but those additional suitcases or backpacks in which the passenger carries his or her personal belongings.” This was the judge’s question for both sides.
The judge looks at the current laws and past cases on the subject and comes to the conclusion that ‘it must be considered that said hand luggage is an essential part of the transportation of passengers and that its transportation, therefore, cannot be subject to a price supplement, provided that said luggage meets reasonable demands related to its weight and dimensions and complies with the applicable safety requirements’.
So, “the airline cannot charge an additional supplement for the carrying of said luggage, unless it is justified that it does not respond to said reasonable demands, which has not occurred in the present procedure, or the airline proves that the carrying of said hand luggage on the plane entails an additional cost.”
As a result of the changes made to Law 37/2011 on streamlining procedures, Ryanair has been told to pay the legal fees for this case. They can’t appeal this decision.
Discover more from Costa Blanca Daily
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Costa Blanca
Van falls into a ditch on a closed street in Crevillente

On Wednesday afternoon, April 3rd, a van was ensnared in a ditch that had been opened by roadworks on Calle Santa María de la Cabeza, which is located in the centre of Crevillent (Alicante). Witnesses reported that the driver entered a road that was clearly marked as closed for maintenance work at approximately 7:59 p.m., which is when the incident occurred.
The white van, which entered the construction site, came to a halt on its side after one of its wheels tumbled into the ditch in the centre of the road, as seen in the photograph. The incident elicited enthusiasm among passersby, who approached to enquire about the situation. Construction workers and security personnel intervened to facilitate the vehicle’s removal.
The images illustrate the peril that unauthorised access to streets that have been closed for public works can pose, despite the fact that the driver’s condition has not been disclosed and no injuries have been reported.
Discover more from Costa Blanca Daily
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Costa Blanca
Superheroes and National Police visit kids oncology ward at Alicante Hospital

On Thursday, 3rd April, at the Alicante General University Hospital, a day filled with emotions, smiles, and unforgettable moments unfolded. A group of superheroes, accompanied by National Police officers, astonished the children admitted to the paediatric oncology ward. The visit, which was intended to offer emotional support, optimism, and encouragement to children who are battling cancer on a daily basis, was a magical experience for the children, their families, and the healthcare staff.
The heroes were hailed by the children with expressions of joy and awe. The rooms were visited by characters such as Spider-Man, Batman, and Captain America, as well as police officers. They distributed gifts, exchanged embraces, and offered words of encouragement, eliciting smiles and applause with each interaction. The visitors and the juvenile patients established an immediate connection, which fostered an environment of optimism and fortitude.

These types of altruistic actions, which are encouraged by volunteer associations and law enforcement agencies, serve as an illustration of how empathy and social commitment can have a beneficial impact during challenging periods. The visit not only served to raise awareness about the reality of children facing severe illnesses but also encouraged the children.
The transformative power of hope is underscored by gestures such as these, which serve to reinforce the notion that optimism can be the most effective treatment, even on the most challenging days.
Discover more from Costa Blanca Daily
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Costa Blanca
This weekend Alicante will be visited by three NATO ships

Residents of Alicante will have the opportunity to observe the arrival of three NATO ships over the weekend. These ships, two of which are from Spain and one from Turkey, will disrupt the monotony of the Mediterranean until Tuesday 8th April.
The Turkish frigate Kemalreis, the Spanish frigate Ávaro de Bazán, and the Combat Supply Ship Patiño are the three imposing vessels.
Standing NATO Group SNMG-2, which is under the command of Turkish Rear Admiral Ilker Avci, will make a halt in the city following the conclusion of one of NATO’s most significant exercises, Dynamic Mariner/FLOTEX-25, according to the Alicante Naval Command.
This visit is occurring during a rest period for the ships’ crews and to conduct the requisite logistical operations to guarantee that the units remain at sea in the upcoming months, following a series of intensive military exercises at sea.
Nevertheless, the ships are not scheduled to host open days during their visit to the city, as it is a logistical-operational and rest stopover.
The SNMG-2 multinational group is responsible for a variety of primary missions, including the following: enhancing maritime awareness, preparing for deployment to crisis zones and initiating containment efforts, conducting training and exercises to improve interoperability among NATO members, and supporting the Alliance’s deterrence and defence posture.
The NATO Allied Maritime Command (MARCOM) administers SNMG-2, which is composed of a number of naval platforms, such as frigates, destroyers, and logistics support vessels, that have been contributed by a variety of NATO member countries.
Armada in Alicante
The Port of Alicante also welcomed the arrival of the Spanish Navy’s 94-metre-long ship “Relámpago” in May 2024. The ship was there to conduct an exercise with the Guardia Civil in order to prevent a terrorist attack involving a car bomb.
The vessel was dispatched to apprehend three suspected jihadists who were operating the explosive from a fishing boat. 200 personnel, including the provincial Guardia Civil and the crew of the patrol boat deployed for the operation, were involved in MARSEC 24’s intervention.
The Navy’s Zone Surveillance Patrol Vessel “Toralla,” which is stationed in Cartagena, also participated in the exercise by simulating the fishing craft of the jihadists. Concurrently, a search for the vehicle bomb was being conducted in the Port of Alicante.
The Technical Specialist in the Deactivation of Explosive Devices (TEDAX) deactivated the device using a robot after it was identified. This allowed specialists to inspect the vehicle by causing a controlled detonation.
Discover more from Costa Blanca Daily
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
-
Costa Blanca2 days ago
Before Easter, the new road through La Hoya should open
-
Costa Blanca2 weeks ago
Elche man arrested for sending intimate images of his partner
-
Costa Blanca2 weeks ago
In the next five years, air taxis will become a reality in Europe
-
Costa Blanca2 weeks ago
Vespas take to the road to raise awareness about a neglected disease
-
Costa Blanca2 weeks ago
Hiker rescued after sustaining a head injury during a fall
-
Costa Blanca2 weeks ago
Police in Alicante seize 1,300 kilos of cocaine from two trucks
-
Costa Blanca2 weeks ago
Km Playa in Benidorm has closed in order to make way for Five Guys
-
Costa Blanca2 weeks ago
Man offered 10,000 euros to murder his ex-partner