Costa Blanca
Elche gets six homes to use in case of social emergencies

The Local Government Board gave the go-ahead to buy six homes owned by SAREB so that they can be fixed up as part of a scheme to build more public housing that is paid for by the State Plan for Access to Housing 2022–2025, also known as the ADHA Plan.
Celia Lastra, Councillor for Social Action, said that in February 2024, the Local Government Board agreed to ask for a subsidy to buy these six homes owned by SAREB. This was because the council wanted to buy these properties to increase the number of public housing units and put them on a rental or transfer of use regime with a maximum rent or transfer price for use, especially for vulnerable groups.
With the help of the 342,500 euro grant, these 6 homes in various parts of the town were bought. “This purchase increases the number of public housing units in Elche and, most importantly, we will have more housing options under a social rental regime and/or transfer of use for emergency housing,” Lastra said. These homes are meant to help families who are housing insecure and can’t afford to rent at market rates because of their income.
The meeting also agreed to the free transfer of the “Hort de Malena” palm grove, which is in the middle of the city, next to the Tower on the road to the Mills, and surrounded by public gardens.
As stated by Inma Mora, the City Council’s goal is to restore and raise the value of the traditional homes and buildings in the “Hort de Malena” palm grove so that people can learn about and share the historical and cultural values that these buildings and homes represent, as well as the palm grove itself and its water systems. There will be no changes to the deal for 10 years.
It has also been cleared to build the Maestro José Toro social centre in Torrellano, which will be situated between the streets of Libertad, Alcudia, Astronautas, and Violeta. As part of this project, a new 1,900-square-meter space will be built to serve more than 7,000 people from the Torrellano, Santa Ana, Balsares, Saladas, and Jubalcoy areas.
The new cultural and social centre will have two floors. The first floor will have a big hall that can fit 466 people, 350 on the ground floor and 166 in the amphitheatre.
The Torrellano social centre project has been approved by the Local Government Board.
The reading room/library and the amphitheatre for the assembly hall will be on the first floor, along with the association offices and music school. The OMAC, cafeteria, and assembly hall will be on the ground floor.
The Civil Aviation report has now been given to the City Council. This is something that the municipal company Pimesa needs in order to be able to put out the bids for the building contract next week.
The Governing Board did agree to the Ministry of Transport and Sustainable Mobility’s request for direct aid for passenger transport. This will lower the prices of transport passes and multi-trip tickets for urban public transport services for the first half of 2025, from January 1 to June 30. They also agreed to make a deal with the service concessionaire to carry out the aid. With these direct helps, the price is cut in half, and the City Council pays for an extra 20%.
As one of the things that wasn’t on the list, the contract for the adaptation works at the central interchange of Doctor Caro and Alfredo Llopis streets has been extended for two more months, until April 11.
InvoLUCRA SL, the winning bidder, said, “They have proposed this extension because, once the urban bus shelter had been moved and the second section of Calle Alfredo Llopis had been torn down, services were found to be in use that were not reflected in the plans that were available for the preparation of the project.” This meant that the foundations and slabs of the two pergolas in that section had to be moved around to fit the available space. This caused the project to be delayed, and the stormwater network had to be moved to a new well that had to be built in the middle of the street.
The project has an investment of about 900,000 euros and is partly paid for by European Next Generation funds.
Discover more from Costa Blanca Daily
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Costa Blanca
Hundreds of cans of tuna stolen from Lidl

As if from a film, two hooded defendants were caught by shop employees and subsequently apprehended by the Local Police and the Guardia Civil.
Events that are infused with cinematic vibes do exist. They may be deserving of a script. This occurred in Javea. Later, two suspects who had robbed a Lidl store in Finestrat (Marina Baixa) attempted to steal from a store of the same chain in Javea by driving north. The employees themselves apprehended the perpetrators during the attempted burglary, and they subsequently informed the local police.
The two males were in the process of fleeing when the officers arrived. However, their escape resulted in catastrophe. Their vehicle collided with a tree. Ultimately, the local police and Guardia Civil officers apprehended them, and they were subsequently transported to the Guardia Civil headquarters.
They were able to retrieve all of the items they had stolen during their journey from Finestrat to Xàbia during the operation. These goings on all occurred on Monday, 31st March, in the afternoon.
Additionally, it is noteworthy that the recovered products are depicted in numerous tuna cans in the photographs. It appears that the defendants harboured an excessive affection for this item, which, incidentally, is exceedingly costly, particularly when combined with olive oil. Additionally, it is feasible to observe certain coverings.
Discover more from Costa Blanca Daily
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Costa Blanca
What is the reason for the disappearance of Chinese bazaars in Spain?

Approximately 25 years ago, Chinese bazaars appeared in every neighbourhood and industrial estate in Spain, displacing the traditional pound stores. Similarly, they are now disappearing. In various regions of Spain, numerous stores owned by individuals of Chinese descent are liquidating their inventory, with some giving away their stock. The closure of the enigmatic kings of the retail sector has spawned a plethora of theories and speculation on social media, as individuals seek to understand the underlying reasons.
The Balearic Wholesale Bazaar was overrun by residents, resulting in the deployment of police to the Son Castelló industrial estate in Palma last weekend to resolve the resulting pandemonium. The business announced that it would begin giving away all of its products after weeks of liquidation as a result of its closure. It is not the sole establishment that is closing in Spain or the Balearic Islands.
A few months ago, the Maxi Asia Chinese market in Málaga, which was one of the largest in the city, closed. A low-priced giant sold out its stock in Leganés just a few weeks ago, and the same incident happened. Or in Murcia, where a series of stores in the city centre have been closing since last year.
What is the reason for the closure of Chinese bazaars?
In light of the international political situation and the rearmament mandated by the EU, one of the most prevalent theories on social media speculates on a potential widespread exodus of the Chinese community from Europe. Consequently, there is a widespread rumour that China is in possession of the keys to a global economic catastrophe or an imminent war. This assertion is refuted by Fang Ji, the administrator of the Association of Chinese in the Balearic Islands.
“Indeed, we have observed that certain bazaars and shops in Mallorca that are operated by Chinese entrepreneurs have either closed or are in the process of liquidating their inventory in recent months.” He also notes that “in general, we can emphasise a number of factors: inflation, increasing rental and utility costs, and changes in consumer habits have impacted numerous small businesses, not just those in the Chinese community.”
Fang Ji posits that the viability of certain conventional businesses has been impacted by the rise of e-commerce and competition from large retailers. Ultimately, an Asian bazaar is unable to compete with platforms such as Shein, Temu, or AliExpress.
Occasionally, the causes of business closures are more closely tied to Pedro Sánchez’s policies than to the international situation: “Some business owners have indicated that the tightening of specific administrative and tax regulations has presented an additional obstacle to the continuity of their operations.” Investments and modifications that are not always practicable for all individuals are necessary to accommodate these modifications.
Fang Ji also emphasises that “the Chinese community in the Balearic Islands has contributed to the region’s commercial and business fabric for decades.” He also notes that some owners have decided to close for personal reasons or to reorient their business model, as the pandemic and economic changes have prompted many entrepreneurs to rethink their future and explore other opportunities.
What is the total number of Chinese bazaars in Spain?
The lack of specific official data complicates the process of determining the precise number of Chinese-run bazaars in Spain. In 2023, the figure was predicted to be 18,000 establishments, according to Laureano Turienzo, the president of the Spanish Retail Association. Nevertheless, Turienzo has estimated that the number of stores and bazaars in Spain could now surpass 20,000 in “very easy” fashion, as evidenced by numerous interviews with members of the Chinese community.
Discover more from Costa Blanca Daily
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Costa Blanca
13th Classic Motor Festival in Guardamar on Saturday, April 12

According to the mayor of Guardamar del Segura, José Luis Sáez, the 13th Solidarity Motor Festival will be held on Saturday, April 12th, and is a “well-loved and established” event. The Guardamar City Council and the Rotary Club of Guardamar are collaborating to organise the event, which promises to be an enjoyable and festive day.
María Venerdi, Councillor for Festivals; José Francisco López, “Caqui,” representative of the Guardamar Classic Vehicle Association; and Francisco José Peiró and Teodoro Rodríguez, president and events coordinator, respectively, of the Guardamar Rotary Club, also presented this event.

According to the local Rotary Club event organiser, “This festival is organised in partnership with Les Dunes Secondary School to establish a book bank and provide it with the necessary resources to continue expanding.”
The arrival of participating vehicles at Town Hall Square will commence at 10 a.m. on Saturday, April 12. Subsequently, at 11 a.m., “we will present a variety of performances for the audience.” Classic vehicles, American vehicles, and rolling jewels that are exclusively displayed at these events will be visible.
Local dance academies Dreams Dance Academy and Chari Candela Dance School will perform on the stage in front of City Hall, in addition to the musical group Saint & Sinner. The morning will conclude with a massive paella that will serve nearly 800 individuals, and the bar will serve food and beverages.
Caqui has announced that the festival will include approximately 180 cars and motorcycles, including a replica of the DMC DeLorean from the film “Back to the Future” that will be on display in a film car area. The replica will include all of the original car’s components. Additionally, the van from the television series “The A-Team” and a Ford Torino similar to the one featured in “Starsky and Hutch” will be on display.
María Venerdi describes it as “a historic event that draws attendees from throughout the province of Alicante and ignites the streets of Guardamar with joy.” The councillor urged all individuals to “enjoy these magnificent cars and the planned activities.”
Discover more from Costa Blanca Daily
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
-
Costa Blanca2 days ago
Before Easter, the new road through La Hoya should open
-
Costa Blanca2 weeks ago
Elche man arrested for sending intimate images of his partner
-
Costa Blanca2 weeks ago
Two men arrested for drug trafficking in Benidorm
-
Costa Blanca2 weeks ago
In the next five years, air taxis will become a reality in Europe
-
Costa Blanca2 weeks ago
Three years in prison for causing a traffic accident in Pinoso that killed two
-
Costa Blanca2 weeks ago
Vespas take to the road to raise awareness about a neglected disease
-
Costa Blanca2 weeks ago
Hiker rescued after sustaining a head injury during a fall
-
Costa Blanca2 weeks ago
Police in Alicante seize 1,300 kilos of cocaine from two trucks